I know, I know, you’ve seen 80000 different patterns for market bags. Or if you haven’t, I’m glad you’re here! I sat down to film an in-depth tutorial about how to crochet this bag, so you can watch that below, or just use the pattern. Or both, to get practice at reading patterns! Win, win, win!
Here’s why I called this the Denim Market Bag. I recently found this yarn from Wool and the Gang called Billie Jean, and thought it was a perfect fit for me, as it is made from upcycled denim and cotton. And it would be perfect for this bag, which is intended to reduce plastic waste.
Here is the video tutorial where you can watch and learn to make this bag, or just keep scrolling to read the pattern!
Denim Market Bag Crochet Pattern, Customizable
- Any cotton worsted weight (4) yarn, I used Wool and the Gang Billie Jean yarn for the sample, it’s made from upcycled denim.
- Size K hook, gauge doesn’t matter for this pattern but I wouldn’t use a much smaller hook so the bag isn’t too stiff.
- Scissors and a smaller hook to finish off. Or use the same hook like I do. Be a rebel.
Ch 32. HDC in 3rd ch, but only on the top side loop, not through both top loops. HDC across CH, then 2 more HDC in last ch. HDC around other side of CH (one continuous round), 2 more HDC in last ch. Sl St to top of first HDC.
2. Ch 2. HDC in next 30 st. 2 HDC in each of next 2 sts. 30 HDC. 2 HDC in each of next 2 sts. Sl st join to top of last rnd.
3. Ch 2. HDC in next 32 st. 2 HDC in each of next 2 sts. 32 HDC. 2 HDC in each of next 2 sts. Sl st join to top of last rnd.
4-6. Ch 2. HDC around. Sl st join to top of last rnd.
7. Ch 3. DC in next st. Ch 1, skip next st, dc in next, repeat around. Sl st join to top of last rnd.
8. Ch 3. DC in next st, ch 1, skip next st, dc on top of last dc, repeat around. Sl st to top of last rnd.
9-21. Repeat round 8.
22. ch 2. HDC around in each dc and ch sp. Sl st join to top of last rnd.
23-24. Ch 2, SC around. Sl st to top of last rnd.
25. Ch 1. SC in next 9 st, ch 20. Skip next 18 st, sc in 19th st and in next 17 sts. Ch 20, skip next 18 sts, sc in 19th st and around to beginning of rnd. Sl st join to top of last rnd.
26. Ch 1. SC across to ch sp. 20 sc in ch sp (or in each ch, whichever you prefer), sc arnd to next ch sp, 20 sc in ch sp. Sc arnd to beginning of rnd. Sl st join to top of last rnd.
27-28. Ch 1. Sc arnd. Sl st to top of last rnd. F/o.
How to customize:
In round 25, make the [ch 20] longer for a longer handle. Then in round 26, make that many SCs in the ch sp. (so to make a strap twice as long, chain 40 then in the next round, make 40 SC into that ch sp.
Follow me on Instagram @crueltyfreestitchery for more crochet related stuff, and to know when I post a new pattern!
Note: You may sell any finished pieces made from my pattern online or at craft fairs, but do not claim the pattern as your own.